Sunrise

Sunrise

Friday, January 9, 2015

Another milestone

I accidentally ran 5 minutes!

I just wanted to see if I could do it.

Earlier this week I decided to run the bridge again. I hadn't run the bridge since starting the 3 minute week (which I have repeated 4 times now) and so I decided to challenge myself.

The week 3 of my couch to 5k program looks like this:
1 1/2 minute run, 1 1/2 minute walk, 3 minute run, 3 minute walk - repeated 2 times

I started the final 3 minute run when I was at the top of the bridge. Going down is SO much easier than going up - so I decided to keep running even after the program told me to slow down and walk. I ran all the way down and felt amazing. I have no clue how long I ran but since it was so easy, I decided to keep running to the car. Running on a flat surface is obviously more difficult than running downhill. I just wanted to see if I could do it.

Once I got to the car, I thought of how nice it would be to end my run next to the water, so I kept running. And I made it!

I was totally "Rocky" in that moment. It was amazing!

Even after that, however, the idea of running for 5 minutes straight without the benefit of a steep down-hill slope scared me! So on my run yesterday, which was a treadmill run, I decided to stick with my 3 minute run.

But it was so easy! Wasn't it just a month or so ago when 30 second runs winded me? And now I can run 3 minutes with no problem?!

So once again, in the middle of my second 3 minute run I decided to keep going. Am I possibly ready for 5? Let's find out...

I totally ran 5 minutes! You wouldn't believe the mantras going on in my head.

* I can do this *I'm amazing! *Look at strong I am! *I am powerful! *One step closer to my goal!
  and all the other cheesy things you say to yourself to keep yourself going.

It was incredible. I've never been prouder of myself.

I know that 5 minutes is nothing to a lot of people out there, but it was huge deal for me.

After the run, I went to a yoga class. Have I mentioned before how much I love yoga? And as challenging as yoga can be, it was cake after running for 5 minutes.

My favorite part of the class: my instructor mentioned at the beginning how we should celebrate our small victories. That is what I'm doing - celebrating a victory! 5 minutes is only a small step toward my ultimate goal, but it is a victory nonetheless. And I am so incredibly proud of myself for pushing for it.

I'm finally ready to move on to week 4! Only about 8 weeks after starting :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment